Interesting November Stock Options for GE – Nasdaq

This post was originally published on this site

Consistently, one of the more popular stocks people enter into their stock options watchlist at Stock Options Channel is General Electric Co (Symbol: GE). So this week we highlight one interesting put contract, and one interesting call contract, from the November expiration for GE. The put contract our YieldBoost algorithm identified as particularly interesting, is at the $28.50 strike, which has a bid at the time of this writing of 23 cents. Collecting that bid as the premium represents a 0.8% return against the $28.50 commitment, or a 26.8% annualized rate of return (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost ).

Selling a put does not give an investor access to GE’s upside potential the way owning shares would, because the put seller only ends up owning shares in the scenario where the contract is exercised. So unless General Electric Co sees its shares fall 3.7% and the contract is exercised (resulting in a cost basis of $28.27 per share before broker commissions, subtracting the 23 cents from $28.50), the only upside to the put seller is from collecting that premium for the 26.8% annualized rate of return. Interestingly, that annualized 26.8% figure actually exceeds the 3.1% annualized dividend paid by General Electric Co by 23.7%, based on the current share price of $29.59. And yet, if an investor was to buy the stock at the going market price in order to collect the dividend, there is greater downside because the stock would have to lose 3.68% to reach the $28.50 strike price. Always important when discussing dividends is the fact that, in general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of General Electric Co, looking at the dividend history chart for GE below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 3.1% annualized dividend yield. GE+Dividend+History+Chart

Turning to the other side of the option chain, we highlight one call contract of particular interest for the November expiration, for shareholders of General Electric Co (Symbol: GE) looking to boost their income beyond the stock’s 3.1% annualized dividend yield. Selling the covered call at the $30 strike and collecting the premium based on the 37 cents bid, annualizes to an additional 41.5% rate of return against the current stock price (this is what we at Stock Options Channel refer to as the YieldBoost ), for a total of 44.6% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $30 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but GE shares would have to advance 1.4% from current levels for that to happen, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 2.6% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.

The chart below shows the trailing twelve month trading history for General Electric Co, highlighting in green where the $28.50 strike is located relative to that history, and highlighting the $30 strike in red: Loading+chart++2015+TickerTech.com The chart above, and the stock’s historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the November put or call options highlighted in this article deliver a rate of return that represents good reward for the risks. We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for General Electric Co (considering the last 251 trading day GE historical stock prices using closing values, as well as today’s price of $29.59) to be 22%. In mid-afternoon trading on Monday, the put volume among S&P 500 components was 926,333 contracts, with call volume at 1.19M, for a put:call ratio of 0.78 so far for the day, which is unusually high compared to the long-term median put:call ratio of .65. In other words, there are lots more put buyers out there in options trading so far today than would normally be seen, as compared to call buyers. Find out which 15 call and put options traders are talking about today .

Top YieldBoost GE Calls »

The views and opinions expressed herein are the views and opinions of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of The NASDAQ, Inc.

Referenced Stocks: GE